Thursday, June 14, 2012

playing college... while pregnant

i knew that if i didn't go to my 5 year college reunion at dayton that i would regret not going versus just sucking it up being pregnant.  when i booked my flight this past winter  i tried to envision myself being 6 months pregnant being back to the place that did some serious damage on my liver.  i told myself it would be fine and all the other dayton ladies who were pregnant i had seen on facebook would be there and we could commiserate together.


except they didn't come.   i was the only pregnant woman at the class of 2007 party.  this caused a lot of attention i didn't anticipate, mostly people were so excited for jay and i.  that's the beauty of being back at the place where we started our relationship, everyone knew us as being together in college.  however, there were some real zingers i wasn't prepared for.  it doesn't matter if you don't know anyone close and personal who is pregnant, the following is NOT okay to say/ask:


1. "do you feel huge?"
(well, i thought i was looking okay in my one-size-up regular dress i'm trying to squeeze into one last time but thanks for making me feel weird now.)




2. "wow, this must be really hard for you not to drink around all these people at dayton"
(yes, yes it is thank you for that reminder.)


3.   rubbing my belly without asking
i hate it, i'm sorry.  i'm one of those preggo ladies that hates it that people think it's okay to rub my belly without asking.  would you like me to rub your belly back?  it is still my skin and it feels equally uncomfortable for me as it would for you if i did it back right now.  as my friend catie says, "if you didn't make it, don't touch it."  


i have to say that this did not happen at all with my best friends/roomies that weekend.  they were kind, supportive, and very accommodating without making me feel left out.  they even threw jay and i a surprise baby shower in our old dorm room and cleared out my pinterest/etsy account of all cute baby things.
i wound up leaving dayton exhausted, with very swollen feet, and a 9 hour drive home but it was SO worth it.  we played college with our best friends and peanut now has plenty of gear from mommy and daddy's alma mater!

 baby's first visit to our favorite college bar, tim's.  he was kicking like crazy at all the journey and whitney houston music.

0 comments: